My Austrian grandmother made this nutty jam-filled dessert only at Christmastime. So did my mother, and now I’m proud to carry on the tasty tradition. It’s a great way to end a holiday meal.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups ground hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground cloves
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/3 cups seedless raspberry jam
- Confectioners’ sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add eggs and lemon peel; stir until mixture forms a ball. Divide into fourths. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until chilled.
- Remove two portions of dough from refrigerator; press each into an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Spread 2/3 cup jam over each.
- Between two sheets of lightly floured waxed paper, roll one portion of remaining dough into a 10-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Cut six 1-in.-wide strips; arrange in a lattice design over jam. Repeat with remaining dough (return dough to the refrigerator if needed).
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and crust is browned. Cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired. Yield: 2 tortes (8 servings each).
1 each: 343 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.