1 small tomatoes, cut in half, seeds squeezed out and finely chopped (not pureed)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, membranes removed, finely minced
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 1/2 lbs ground chicken or 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1/4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1/2 teaspoon curry
1/4 teaspoon dried coriander
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs (optional)
3 large whole wheat pita bread
1. Heat oven to 400°F.
2. In a large bowl mix the chicken with, yogurt, fresh coriander,ginger, curry, salt, dry coriander, cumin and cayenne. Use your hand to really mix spices, yogurt and chicken together.
3. Sprinkle with tomato, jalapeno, and onions.
4. Mix until everything is evenly blended
5. If the mixture is so wet that it clings to your hands stir in some bread crumbs Form the mixture into patties approx 2 1/2″ by 1/2″ thick.
6. Spray a baking sheet with veggie oil.
7. Place patties on the baking sheet single layer and bake in 400°F oven for approx 8 minutes. Turn patties over and bake for another 8 minutes or until they are cooked. Slice the pitas in half, wrap in foil and warm in the oven during the last few minutes that the patties are baking. Place 2 patties in each pita and top with your favorites (I love chopped sweet onion, lettuce, tomatoes, feta cheese and sliced olives).