Carrot contains beta-carotene, a strong antioxidant that can prevent cancer. Regular consumption of carrots reduces cholesterol level which helps prevent heart related problems. Since carrots have vitamin A, it is said to be good for eye sight also. Including carrots in your diet makes the skin softer and smoother.Thus carrot in its cooked form or raw, is good for your health. Today let us learn how to make this simple carrot rice following our easy recipe.
Carrot Rice Recipe
- Prep time – under 15 mins
- Cook time – under 20 mins
- Serves -2
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Carrots -3/4 cup grated
- Onions – 2 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Groundnuts – 1 tbsp (roasted and powdered coarsely)
- Oil- 1 tbsp
For the seasoning
- Whole garam masala (cinnamon- 1 small bit, cloves -2, cardamom-1)
- Mustard -1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Channa dal/ bengal gram – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – few leaves
- Dry masala powder
- Coriander seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 tsp tsp
- Red chillies – 3
- Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Heat a tsp of oil and fry all the above ingredients, adding coconut at the end. Powder it and keep it aside.
- Cook 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of water so that each grains are separate. Keep aside.
How to cook rice?
- Heat oil in a pan , add whole garam masala followed by mustard seeds, when mustard splutters, add channa dal, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add onions and sauté until it becomes translucent.
- Then add grated carrots and cook for a few minutes until the raw flavor goes. Do not overcook. Add the ground masala powder, required salt and mix it well.
- Now add the cooked rice, roasted peanut powder and mix everything well gently.
- Serve it with raita or chips or papads or any gravy of your choice.